Saturday, November 29, 2008

pretty sketchy

Things have been escalating over the past few days in Bangkok. The PAD protesters have taken over the police barricades at the airport, and now have total control over it, completely shutting it down. The Thai government has switched off all Thai TV stations, so nobody will know what is going on...so my main source is internet and word of mouth.
From what I hear, a bomb went off and shots were fired, and the Prime Ministers compound was bombed this morning. There was also a scuffle at the military airport that left 49 injured. I have the feeling that things are going to get worse before they get better. The protesters have complete control of a massive airport and a military airport...not allowing people in or out, and refuse to negotiate with the Thai government. Since the protesters have now become violent, the government who was set on resolving this through non violent methods is probably going to have to get violent too as they are losing millions of dollars everyday. From what the locals say, it almost seems inevitable that the government will attempt some sort of violent method in order to end the protest. There as been an increased police and military presence which is strange...but where I am everything seems to be ok. I am still safe, I just probably can't exit the country for a while...not that I was going to!
We met with our boss yesterday, and the internet line here is not good enough to efficiently train us, or for us to start teaching. But we got it figured out for working on Monday and getting payed so money wont be an issue....and supposedly we are moving into a house within the next week! I guess we cannot start teaching online until the 15th, but I am doing private tutoring tomorrow, and then getting paid to do 2 weeks of lesson plans, so at least I actually start working and getting payed tomorrow. The guy I am tutoring is French, 24, and almost fluent in English. Oh and his name is actually "Pierre"(I know...right?). I met him last night, and he is pretty cool and basically just wants help with verb tenses and someone to converse with in English, so it should be easy. Tomorrow I get to take him on a field trip to Sriracha to go to a tiger preserve...all paid for by TEFL. Tuesday, Matt tutors him and they are taking a Thai cooking class. Wednesday Scott takes him to a waterfall. Thursday Rachel and him are going to get a Thai massage, and Friday Andre is taking him to a party for the Kings birthday (also the Thai father's day). I guess this guy just signed up for a month in Thailand of taking field trips and learning English...pretty cool. We should be tutoring him next week too, so hopefully I get him on a day where the field trip is something cool. Hopefully this Tiger preserve is fun, or its just me and a French guy at a crappy zoo all day having awkward broken English conversations.
OH, last night i got to see Shaam!! We hadn't seen him in month, since we moved out of our apartment, and into the TEFL school! His restaurant is too far away for us to walk, and difficult to get a ride to, so we can never go. He came into town and bought us all beers, and hopefully we can go visit him soon. I miss his food (seriously the best Thai food I have had in Thailand!). It was good to see him!
Alright thats it for now. I would try to keep you updated on the Bangkok situation more, but like I said, the government is censoring TV and newspaper so it is difficult to actually know what is going on, and what is rumor. Maybe YOU can fill me in?
Lots of love!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From yo mama
Why in the hell would a "Frenchman" go to Thailand to learn English? Why wouldn't he go to America or Britain-sounds fishy. Where is he from? (near Toulousse?)
Stay clear of Bangkok and try not to go anywhere alone ok? xoxox miss you :(

Sherry said...

I double what yo mama is saying. Will you be alone with this guy? I think you should take Scott or someone with you......Be very careful and take care.

Unknown said...

I don't think you'll do anything risky, but I do think you and your friends should have an exit plan to leave Bangkok, and know where the American Embassy is and how to contact them for current information, just in case you need it. Hugs!!

Ashley Voyles said...

I will repeat what everyone else says, but be careful. Update us often so we know what the heck is going on with you. Have fun with your Frenchman. :)