Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Western Weekend

This weekend we decided to go to Pattaya, because Scott's parents gave us the gift of a REAL Christmas dinner, and Pattaya is the most westernized place in Thailand. We arrived on Friday, and immediatly went to see a movie at the theater (since they play one movie per day in English). We saw "The Day the Earth Stood Still", which was quite horrible, yet none of us seemed to mind because it was actually in English! That night, we found a hotel near the city strip called "Walking Street". This street is full of bars (brothels) that offer cheap alcohol (and hookers). Needless to say, we all stayed on the street and bought drinks at 7-11. Pattaya is not my favorite place (nor the boys'), however it was fun to go out, and be surrounded by white people again. OH! And there was a Subway, which actually tasted the same as home! I had about 4 sandwiches this weekend (I don't think I have ever been so excited about a sandwich).
Saturday, we did a little Christmas shopping, and explored the beach. Pattaya is a lot like Mexico...with resorts and palm tree lined beaches. That day, I decided to get a haircut! I was nervous, because of the language barrier, but fortunately in Pattaya most people spoke english, and I was able to get a great cut!
Saturday evening, we got ready for our fabulous dinner out, courtesy of the Robinsons! We got dressed up, and the restaurant picked us up in a limo! We arrived at Mahattan's steak house, and had some cocktails (I had the best cosmopolitan I have EVER had in my life). We sat down at the table and ordered our 3 course meals! The boys got steaks...and we all got different appetizers and desserts. I got a salad with blue cheese and tomato, pasta with artichoke and mushroom, and lemon souffle. It was the most beautiful restaurant, and probably the best food I have ever had! We also had red wine (a hot commodoty in Thailand). At the end we were all fat and happy!
That night, we met up with Morgan and Rachel, friends from the TEFL group. We all went out to the bar strip together, where we ran into our boss Mike (who is a seedy creeper who probably loves Pattaya a little too much). We all went to a nightclub (without hookers) and danced! It was so much fun.
Sunday morning, we woke up, had breakfast, and got subway sandwiches for the road (since we probably wont get western food again for a long time). I have to say I was thankful to get back to Ban Phe. Pattaya was a little much for me, and overall just disgusting with the amount of old, creepy, disrespectful, hooker buying men!! However, having western food, and a lukewarm shower, and seeing a movie really re-charged my battery! Not to mention the BEST dinner of my life. I don't think we will ever go back to Pattaya, (unless we really crave subway)!
This week, we have Christmas day off, and will be going to a restaurant in town which has a turkey dinner (whether it is seasoned with Thai spices...we don't know)...we are having a gift exchange, and probably laying on the beach (yeah...be jealous of the 80 degree weather, although I am jealous you all get REAL Christmas!! Consider us even).
Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

Oh! A few of you have asked for my address again...here it is:

Tami Laird
c/o TEFL International
38/53-55 Moo 1
Suan Son Rd.
Klaeng, Muang
Rayong 21160 Thailand

I love getting mail and am so thankful for the letters I have received!

In addition, I have added pictures from Pattaya...there are mostly party pics, and pictures of things that appalled me...because that's all there is to do and see there...so I apologize in advance. Let's just say this album is PG13 (sorry mom)?

Here it is:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2016156&l=aec5d&id=83901952

That's it for now. xoxo

No comments: