Friday, April 24, 2009

In Saigon!

Hello everyone! I am in Saigon now, or Ho Chi Minh City I guess! Vietnam has been a whirlwind, but it has been great.

My last update, I believe was in Hanoi. SInce then, we have gone all the way down the country and done so much. After Hanoi, we went to Cat Ba island, which was beautiful! The whole bay was limestone cliffs and emerald green water. We went out on a junk for a day trip around Halong Bay, which was incredible.

After Cat Ba, we went to Hue on an overnight bus....let me tell you this was probably the worst time of my entire life! This bus was ridiculous! First of all, there are rows of beds (if you can even call them that) along the whole bus. I had a top bunk. These things are built for people about 4 feet tall and 80 pounds. You couldn't straighten your legs all the way. To make it worse, they BLASTED vietnamese music on full volume all night, and the driver swerved and honked every 30 seconds. I am not exaggerating. He was horrid! To top it off, the bus gets pulle dover and they find a bunch of stolen phones. So we are stopped for 4 hours while they search all the bags. Needless to say, we arrived in Hue about 7 hours late. I think I wanted to die by then.

Hue was amazing, which made up for the ride there! We went on a tour of the DMZ where among the things we saw were the beginning of HO Chi Minh trail, Khe San military base, and the Vinh Moc tunnels. It was really incredible to see all of this stuff!

After Hue, we took an all day train down to Nha Trang. This is supposed to be the most scenic railway in the world...and it did not let us down! It took about 13 hours to get there but it was worth it. Nha Trang is probably my favorite part of Vietnam. It was gorgeous, the people were so friendly, and the weather was nice. We went to the beach all day, then went to the mineral hot springs. We had a mud bath in these mud pits, then layed in hot mineral water, and swam in mineral waterfalls. The water was very hot, but after your skin felt so good. It was really fun to splash around in the mud, and swim in the pools. The whole process was very unique including high pressure jets to wash all the mud off.

Yesterday we flew from Nhat Trang to HCMC (instead of taking another hellatious bus ride) and now we are here for 2 days. We are going to the CuChi tunnels tomorrow...then its off to Bali (which I am SUPER excited for!)

ALl in all its been a great trip and the boys and I are having so much fun!

I have managed to get up pictures from the south of Thailand, but they are poorly labeled and out of order....but it will have to do for now:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2018994&id=83901952&l=0054f5a0e7

I will update again in Bali!! Miss you all!

Can't believe I will be home in 3 weeks!

1 comment:

yomama said...

Ab so lut ley amazing pictures.