Thursday, April 2, 2009

South of Thailand travel begins!

Scott, Matt and I have been traveling now for almost a week! We left for Bangkok, then flew to Phuket in the south of Thailand. Phuket was pretty nice...though we only stayed for 2 days. You can tell the Tsunami of 2004 wiped out quite a bit but they have recovered extremely well!

After Phuket we headed to the Phi Phi islands. Koh Phi Phi was the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my life! We went on a boat/snorkel trip...saw this lagoon called PiLey bay on Phi Phi Leh island...so beautiful (google pictures of it). We also went to the beach where they filmed the movie "The beach" (but believe it or not, that was probably the least beautiful)! I took TONS of pictures that I will put up when I get back to the states. Scott and I hiked up the tsunami evacuation route/viewpoint and it was spectacular! We staed 4 days on Phi Phi Don (the bigger island) but spent a lot of time on Phi Phi Leh (the smaller and more beautiful island only a longboat ride away). On the cliffs they have "swift nests", that they use to make bird nest soup. I guess people have to scale these cliffs and steal the nests and make a ton of money, though it looks extremely dangerous. We also saw a viking cave, where pirates had made drawings on the walls. What else? Had some great food, saw some Muay Thai boxing, got an awesome sunburn...everything was great!

We are in Krabi now...a place called Ao Nang. It has been rainign all day. but tomorrow we are meeting up with Rachel in Railay beach (in Krabi) and hopefully doing some kayaking.

On saturday, we are heading to the similan islands (on the andaman sea). Scuba diving is some of the best in the world there so I think I might splurge and do a "fun dive"...you dont get certified and a guide goes with you (its through PADI so its safe mom), plus its less expensive. You go no more than 25 ft. so if something goes wrong you can swim up. I feel like it would be a shame not to when its the best in the world! Matt went diving the other day on Phi Phi and saw 3 sea turtles and a shark!! The dive I do counts toward part of a certification if I find that I love it. I have always been a bit apprehensive of diving, but I am pretty much a waterbaby and LOVE snorkeling, so I will probably LOVE it and be addicted. The snorkeling alone has been AMAZING! The visibility is about 12-18 meters from the surface and there are so many unbelievable fish swimming around (rainbow colored even!!) The water is so clear and warm (about 80-85 degrees)

The south of Thialand is very different...and A LOT more beautiful. There are huge cascading limestone cliffs, and turqouise water. I really love it down here!

I am having a blast! It is HOTTER THAN HECK, but we are dealing!

Miss you all, and I will try to update again soon!

1 comment:

BROTHERMAN said...

COOOL!!!!!! have fun!!!! dont do anything i wouldn't do!