Thursday, October 23, 2008

I am officially finished with my teaching practice! Hooooray! Teaching the monks has been incredible. I think I really have a passion for teaching. It is amazing to see them understand the concept of your lesson, and be able to actually learn the language you are teaching them. Most of them are really good kids, and listen really well. There are a couple rowdy ones (yes rowdy monks…who knew), but as soon as I give them the “teacher eye” they immediately listen to me. It is somewhat difficult at times, as I cannot touch the monks, or hand them anything. Every item I have to first place on the floor, for them to pick up. Also, they do not respond to “shhhhh” as a way to quiet them down. In Thai culture it is more of a tongue click..like “click click click”. That took some getting used to as well. Although through all of this, I find that I am in a very calm and serene mood, even though it has been a hectic week. Although, you would probably be calm and serene if you were spending 7 hours a day at a Buddhist temple too.

This may be my last week in Ban Phe…I am going to miss this place....living right on the beach, eating at Shaam’s, crazy karaoke sessions on the beach, riding in ghetto taxis and motorbikes. Most of all, I am going to miss the people I have taken this course with. I have seen them all turn into teachers over the past three weeks. Since we spend every waking moment together, I also know way too much about them…probably more than any people should…but I wouldn’t trade this part of the experience for anything. A few people have placements, and some are leaving this Saturday. Still no word on my placement, and about 17 other people's placements...so we may be unplaced up until November 5th. Tomorrow we have our "goodbye graduation dinner", and then some of us leave...sad!

I have tried to put up new pictures...but it will not work :(
It is starting to monsoon...I hear the thunder, so I should probably get out of here before my computer gets drenched!
Miss you all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see your blog since you haven't skyped-happy you love teaching. I always thought you would make a great teacher. What are your weekend plans?
I miss you something awful. I have to watch Pushing Daisies all alone-sniff
x0x0x0

Ashley Voyles said...

Congrats Tami. That is exciting that it sounds like you have maybe found your future career. I would totally send my kids to you. Have fun this weekend, hope you find out about your placement soon.

Love ya. ♥