Saturday, October 4, 2008

I made it here alive!

I am FINALLY here in Bangkok after what seemed like years! The flight from LA to Japan left much to be desired...but I survived. It was me and a dude next to me who must have taken elephant tranquilizers or something because he instantly fell asleep and did not wake up the WHOLE flight. I needed to pee and tried to wake him with no luck. Finally I just crawled over the bastard. Whatever he was on...I want some for the flight back.
The flight threw me off because it was constantly daylight so I could never get to sleep. It felt like a never ending day where the sun never moved (I don't know how Alaskans don't go nuts). I wanted to do the "Nealy special" (2 tylenol PM's and a glass of wine) but just couldn't bring myself to do it when it was constant daylight. I read a 500 page book instead.
Landing in Tokyo was interesting. I expected to see a HUGE concrete jungle, but it was surprisingly very green and lush! The airport was probably selling some of the weirdest stuff I have ever seen. crazy asians! OH and the bathrooms were bizarre...I took pictures and will probably put them up here to show everyone!
It finally got dark outside just in time for my flight to Bangkok and luckily nobody was seated next to me so I moved up the arm rests, layed down over 3 seats, and slept the entire 6 hour flight. I may have looked a little "special" but at that point I was so tired I didn't care.
I arrived in Bangkok around midnight in the 85 degree heat...yes this hot at midnight. And this is their cold season? After an hour of milling around the airport looking at weird Asian food, I finally decided to get a hotel since I am not being picked up until tomorrow at noon. There are hotel reps standing all over the airport with their info. I had no clue if this was safe or not but thats the way my brain is working after being awake for 30 hours. Turns out it is safe, so we're all good.
Then of course there's the fact that I speak absolutely no Thai. I am hoping to just get by on my stunning good looks and charming personality...so far so good!
Right now it is about 1:30 am and I am sitting in my hotel room. Of course technically it is like 11:30 am in CA so I am wide awake...awesome.
I don't know what the internet situation will be when i get to the school in Ban Phe tomorrow but I will try to be in contact. Until then, I am safe and I LOVE YOU ALL!!

2 comments:

Ashley Voyles said...

I am so glad I happened to be on gmail today and not out running. I'm glad you made it safe. Hopefully you can get some sleep soon. Love ya cousin.

Anonymous said...

AWWWW I am so happy you made it!!!! Sounds like so much fun!!!! Did you know the airport in Tokyo is actually 45 minutes from there? so you actually saw the suburbs of Tokyo, maybe 45 minutes from the city! So is Bangkok big? Loud? Crazy?? how was your hotel??? And fuck that monkey!!! Get some rest love you lots and have a great time! Don't forget to smile and bow!! talk to you soon crazy traveler!

SAWATDEE!!!