Sunday, October 12, 2008

koh samet

Hey everyone! This weekend, the group went to Koh Samet (sometimes called Koh Samed), which is the island right off the coast of Ban Phe. The island is probably only a mile away, so we can see it from our apartment building. We took a 45 minute ferry from Ban Phe (which went extremely slow…seriously I could have swam there faster). The boats are somewhat small and rickety, and to get on them you have to practically jump form the pier into the boat (not for the faint of heart). To dock them, they just tie them to other boats and you have to crawl across the other boats and climb up onto the dock. It was definitely a little scary, but worth it to get to this beautiful island.
When we arrived, the island was more amazing than I had imagined. I think everywhere I go in Thailand is the most beautiful place I have seen, and then I go somewhere else and am blown away again. Koh Samet had perfect soft white sand beaches with crystal clear turquoise water (also 80 degrees).
We rented bungalows on the beach for about $6 a night (we put 3 in a room which made it $2 each!) These bungalows were right on the water, and had a queen size bed with a big mosquito net over it.
During the day we laid on the beach, sipped tropical cocktails and swam in the water. We wanted to go banana boating but didn’t get to.
On the beach Thai women sell massages. They are about $7 for an hour of full body massage. Not going to lie, I definitely had 2 while I was there. They were amazing.
At night, we had dinner at a place where they sit cushions and a low table on the sand. Above our heads were strung a bunch of paper lanterns, in all different colors and shapes. On the beach people were floating Thai lanterns. They have these huge cylinder cloth lanterns which they float into the sky like hot air balloons by lighting candles on the bottom. We just watched them floating up into the sky until we couldn’t see them glow anymore.
The rest of the evening was spent dancing at the various bars and clubs on the beach. Our placement coordinator Joy, (a Thai girl about 26) came to Koh Samet with us because it was her birthday, so it was extra fun. I don’t think anybody wanted to come back…but we will probably go again next weekend.
Lets see, what else…oh the aforementioned laundry came out quite crunchy. I am missing real washers and dryers. I better get used to hand washing in bathtubs because I have yet to see a washer and dryer (or a Laundromat for that matter)! Well that’s it for now. I am attempting to upload some photos, but there are no guarantees it will actually work. I may need to take my laptop into Rayong and see if I can find actual internet that doesn’t suck!
Love you all! Postcards are coming soon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is it! I am coming to take you home!!!! No one should be having this much fun unless I am with them.

Anonymous said...

oops I hit anonomous but it is yo mama

Andrea said...

Sweet...I almost feel warmer (and less stressed and more tan) reading your blog! It's a balming 42 degrees in Seattle! Enjoy your fabulous life! -Andrea & Rookie

Anonymous said...

SO cool!!!!!!!!! I am so jealous? I hope you have to work punk hahahaha!!! NAHHHHH just have fun, wow life is good in other parts of the world when stuff is sooo cheap....amazing how you are going to view the world when you come back! love you!!! keep writing i love to hear what your doing!

Anonymous said...

No way!

I wanted to take that course but couldn't since I had to have a degree BEFORE signing up. I could have had it just in time after the end of the learning part of the job.

sooo lucky.

Oh well, I'm going to do that one next year.

Ashley Voyles said...

Okay so I would love a $7 hour long massage right about now. I am jealous you are having such a blast. Fall has hit Northern Cali, brrrrrrrrrr. Six days away. Please think good thoughts for me on Sunday or I guess that would be your Saturday. Can't wait for my postcard. You have my address right??